Midlothian wedding venues – where to get married
Here is my list of top 12 wedding venues in Midlothian. However before introducing you to Midlothian wedding venues, let me explain why getting married outside of Edinburgh is a great idea.
- National Mining Museum
- Secret Herb Garden
- The Restoration Yard
- Melville Castle
- Oxenfoord Castle
- Dalhousie House Hotel
- Borthwick Castle
- Newhall Estate
- Rosebery Steading
- Arniston House
- Glencorse House
- Fairfield House Dalkeith
5 top reasons to get married in Midlothian, Scotland
- more affordable than getting married in the city, especially if you have guests needing an overnight stay. There is plenty of accommodation choices around the area suitable for all budgets.
- Midlothian wedding venues usually include extensive grounds so there is no need abandon your guests for the wedding photos.
- free parking!
- less traffic, less stress
- Midlothian is beautiful!
Unique wedding venues in Midlothian
- National Mining Museum – a visitor attraction and industrial style wedding venue in Newtongrange, 8 miles from Edinburgh. One of my favourite wedding venues near Dalkeith!
- Where to take bride and groom wedding photos at the Newtogrange Mining Museum? anywhere within the colliery, both indoors and outdoors. It is a great space for bad weather, group photos and candids.
- Capacity: 120 guests
Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, Dalkeith EH22 4QN
2. Secret Herb Garden- a lovely garden centre in Damhead with a view over Pentland Hills
- capacity for 100 people
- big glasshouse for a wedding reception
- Abi & Ben’s wedding at the Secret Herb Garden
32A Old Pentland Road Edinburgh EH10 7EA
3. Restoration Yard – unique venue consisting of converted stables and a courtyard, located at Dalkeith Country Park. Beautiful Victorian Orangerie is a magical place to hold a wedding ceremony.
- the park includes 1000 acre land so your wedding photographer will be grateful for choices
- capacity is 80 people during the day and 100 for the evening
- check Mhairi & Tom’s wedding at the Restoration Yard
Dalkeith Country Park EH22 1ST
Castle wedding venues
4. Melville Castle Hotel – castle style hotel just outside Edinburgh, it has been refurbished in 2021.
- Melville is a location for many destination weddings, from intimate elopements to bigger weddings for up to 150 guests.
- moreover, it is dog friendly too!
- Check photos from Molly & Byron’s destination wedding at Melville Castle
Gilmerton Rd, Edinburgh, Lasswade EH18 1AP
+44 (0)131 654 0088
5. Oxenfoord Castle – 16th century luxury Scottish castle in Midlothian
- outdoor ceremony in the gardens
- ceremony in the church on the castle’s ground
- check Sarah & Gordon’s wedding at the Oxenfoord Castle
Oxenfoord Castle, Oxenfoord, Pathhead EH37 5UB
enquiries: 01875 320 844 email@example.com
6. Dalhousie House Hotel – a luxurious hotel with a spa! A fairytale castle with a private chapel for wedding ceremonies.
- the castle has own falconry and you can request an owl to deliver wedding rings
- suitable for elopements and big weddings
Bonnyrigg, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH19 3JB
enquiries: 01875 820153 firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Borthwick Castle – 15th century medieval castle near Gorebridge
- can accommodate 28 guests
- weddings up to 85 guests
- check these photos from winter wedding at the Borthwick Castle
Borthwick Castle, North Middleton Midlothian, Scotland, EH23 4QY Tel: 01875 820514
Exclusive use wedding venues
8. Arniston House – a historic house in Gorebridge with 6000 acre estate, new Midlothian wedding venue
- the Orangery is a stunning place for a ceremony and can accommodate up to 160 guests
- marquee available for reception
Arniston House, Gorebridge EH23 4RY
enquiries: 01875 830515 | email@example.com
9. Rosebery Steading – 18th century steading conversion and barn space.
- can accommodate 28 guests
- 2 event barns , The Hayloft and The Threshing Barn, can seat 100 people
Rosebery Steading, Temple Nr. Gorebridge, EH23 4SP
- over 1000 acres of grounds
- options for ceremony include sunroom, walled garden and newly refurbished Coach House
- can accommodate up to 160 guests
Newhall Estate, Carlops, Midlothian, Scotland, EH26 9LY
11 .Glencorse House – country estate at the foot of Pentland Hills
- wedding ceremonies take place in a romantic Glencorse Old Kirk that holds 130 people. Furthermore, the Kirk was featured in TV series Outlander 🙂
- wedding receptions take place in a marquee
Milton Bridge, Nr.Edinburgh, EH26 0NZ
Registrar’s office in Midlothian
12. Fairfield House Dalkeith – registrar office in Dalkeith for civil partnerships and marriage ceremonies
- beautiful villa with lovely gardens for the photos
- located close to local beauty spots too for more photo opportunities
- capacity for 30 guests
8 Lothian Road, Dalkeith, Midlothian, EH22 3AA
enquiries: 0131 270 7500
Where to take wedding photos in Midlothian ?
If you are looking for more opportunities for bride and groom photos, Midlothian has lovely woods and hills that can serve as a background:
Roslin Glen – wooded glen in the North Esk Valley, near famous Rosslyn Chapel
Gorebridge Glen – woodland park with riverside and ponds
Pentland Hills – range of hills with spectacular views!